At Cleveland, we believe that all students can learn. We believe there is a place for inclusion as well as a real need for self-contained classrooms. At Cleveland, we are able to provide all students with the full continuum of services. This continuum represents a range of educational placements in which an Individualized Education Program (IEP) can be implemented to meet the individual needs of our students with disabilities.
The Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) can range from the general education classroom placement with consultation services provided to the student and/or teacher to full time support within a special education classroom.
LRE is not a “one-size fits all”. For some of our students it may look like full inclusion, for others they may be supported in a self-contained classroom, while others may be a mix of both. Cleveland teachers promote the concept of inclusion by applying one of three best practices: in-class support, co-teaching, and consultation with classroom teachers. Whereas our self-contained and low-incidence /cluster classrooms will meet the needs of individual students while keeping with the fidelity of the grade level curriculum, or adapting the curriculum to enable the student to be successful while not diminishing their achievements.
All our placement decisions are based on what is in the best interest of the student. All our diverse learners attend enrichment classes, recess, lunch, field trips, etc., with their same age peers. Our general education students are our “Ambassadors” to our special needs population. The interactions between our students has encouraged an inclusive and accepting community within our school!
Programs and Partnerships
- Big Green Sensory Garden
- Special Olympics and Pep Rally
- Young Athletes-a precursor to Special Olympics for our diverse learners under the age of 8
- Community Based Instruction-walking trips to neighborhood stores/restaurants Sensory Path
- Red Kite Project (Chicago Children’s Theatre) An innovative program for children on the autism spectrum
- Filament Theatre: Performances for our students with special needs
- Chicago Black Hawk First Stride Program: STEM activities, ice skating
- Autism Awareness Month